Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (2023)

Heads up!

We have launched a new board for our LGBTQ+ / Allies community. See the announcement post for more details on how to join the board!

As I'm sure you all know, we finally have a new name and release date for the next Zelda game! And you can discuss The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom here !Read our new release: here

• I decided the other thread was too old, so I'm making a new one. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (1)

So me and my brother have been working on various orders for the Adult temples in OOT, creating new files and alternating the order.

Marceline Abadeer wrote:

Update on the Team Ningan/Arsenal Fan journey of alternate temples:

Fire Temple
    Forest Temple
    Ice Cavern
    Longshot
    Bottom of the Well
    Spirit Temple Child
    Spirit Temple Adult
    Water Temple
    Gerudo Training Ground
    Shadow Temple

We have now proven that, without the Longshot, the Spirit and Shadow Temple are inaccessible. The Forest and Fire Temples can be exchanged, but the Water Temple must come after the Forest Temple.

Thanks for listening. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (2)

Since then, I am replaying OOT, this time with a three-heart-challenge, and this is the temple order I have done:

Ice Cavern
    Forest Temple
    Bottom of the Well
    Water Temple
    Spirit Temple Child

For me, this is an important breakthrough (I'm not sure if this is already widely known) because I discovered that the Fire Temple can be skipped not once, but twice! Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (3) This is because the Water Temple does not require the use of the hammer at all, however, it does require the bow.

I hope to complete the Spirit Temple now, hopefully leading to the Nocturne of Shadow cutscene which will allow me to reach the Shadow Temple, leaving the Fire Temple til last! Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (4)

Tell me if you've attempted any alternate temple orders in OOT (except for the obvious Spirit-Shadow Temple alternation!).

Mar 29th 2013, 8:11pm

OP

• The Water Temple does not have required use of the bow, so it is possible to do the Fprest Temple 3rd.

How about this...

Deku Tree
    Jabu Jabu
    Dodongo's Cavern
    Water
    Bottom of the Well
    Forest
    Spirit
    Fire
    Shadow?

That might not work as I don't really know/remember what's needed for what but I do know that the longshor is required for the Spirit Temple, Water, Fire, and Forest are required for Shadow, and that forest and Fire are not required for Water

Have played: LOZ, AOL, LTTP, OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS, LBW

Playing: ST

Favorite games: OOT=MM>TP>LTTP>LBW>WW>SS>LOZ>AOL

Favorite dungeons: Forest Temple (OOT), Eastern Palace (LTTP), Snowpeak Ruins, Earth Temple (Wind Waker), Swamp Palace (either one)

Least favorite dungeons: (best to worst), Jabu Jabu's Belly, Wind Temple, Skull Woods, Lakebed Temple, Tower of Hera (LTTP)

Mar 30th 2013, 1:09am

• Marceline Abadeer wrote:

I hope to complete the Spirit Temple now, hopefully leading to the Nocturne of Shadow cutscene which will allow me to reach the Shadow Temple, leaving the Fire Temple til last! Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (5)

The Fire Medallion is unfortunately required for that cutscene too.

OOTForestTemple wrote:

How about this...

Deku Tree
    Jabu Jabu
    Dodongo's Cavern
    Water
    Bottom of the Well
    Forest
    Spirit
    Fire
    Shadow?

Bottom of the Well can't be even entered before finishing the Forest Temple because Sheik won't let you travel back in time, but other than that I don't see why that order wouldn't work. Some eye switches in the Water Temple require the bow though and they're not optional like the one in the Fire Temple. You just need to do some backtracking if you want the Water Medallion first.

There's quite a lot of non-linearity in this game and it's not just the dungeons either. I found out that you can get several things before the bow, like the longshot or the Gerudo membership card. I've seen videos of people getting the latter without the hookshot too, but I haven't attempted that myself yet because I'm not that good at the one part where you need to stun the guards from behind with just your sword. Also the lens of truth is actually optional so you won't have to go down the Kakariko well at all, it's just very annoying to play the rest of the game without it, especially in the haunted wasteland.

If you play the child dungeons out of order, pay attention to the dialogue when you get the Zora Sapphire. Navi actually says there's still one stone left to get, which was a delightful surprise because it's like a message from the devs saying they expected someone to play it like that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traeh ().

Mar 30th 2013, 7:26am

• OOTForestTemple wrote:

False: my brother attempted to complete the Water Temple without the bow, but one of the keys requires the use of the bow.

Back to my playthrough, as Traeh pointed out, the Fire Medallion is required for the Kakariko fire cutscene, meaning that I could only enter the Shadow Temple after beating the Fire Temple.

So the order goes like this:

Ice Cavern
    Forest Temple
    Bottom of the Well
    Water Temple
    Spirit Temple Child
    Spirit Temple Adult
    Fire Temple
    Gerudo Training Ground
    Shadow Temple

So to summarise, this proves that:

[LIST]The Forest Temple must be completed before the Water Temple.[/LIST]
    [LIST]The Fire Temple is not required to be beaten until the Shadow Temple.[/LIST]
    [LIST]Gerudo Training Ground requires every item except for the Hover Boots.[/LIST]

The only thing that confuses me is the requirements for the Kakariko fire cutscene. It would seem that you need both the Fire Medallion and the Water Medallion to initiate it (maybe the Forest Medallion too).

Using those conditions, try and discover your own alternate temple order. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (8)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ningan the Lone Ninja ().

Mar 30th 2013, 3:01pm

OP

• I'm currently in the middle of a playthrough and I have done the temples so far thus:

Ice
    Forest
    Water

Bottom of the Well will be next.

I've never actually done them out of order before so I'm enjoying it quiet a bit Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (9)

Doing the Ice Cavern w/o most of the gear you have if you do it in order was hard yet fun. Freezard's always get me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mar 30th 2013, 3:17pm

• So here's what I've been able to figure out as far as conditions, dungeon by dungeon. No glitches, cheats or other similar tricks considered unless otherwise pointed out. Don't open the thing if you want to find all this out by yourself, because honestly that was half the fun.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Traeh ().

Mar 30th 2013, 8:39pm

• you know, I've beaten OoT maybe 20 times but I have never once tried them out of order. I might give it a shot sometime, if I ever get over my already-undying hatred for the game xD (I used to like it but I've done it so many times now that it's become unbearable to play Dx")

i'll just be on my way.

Mar 30th 2013, 11:45pm

• Traeh wrote:

Thanks Traeh, that's perfect. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (10)

Gerudo Training Grounds does require the Lens of Truth when searching for a Longshot point, but if you're observant, you can probably get away without using it. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (11)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ningan the Lone Ninja ().

Mar 31st 2013, 7:59am

OP

• Yeah, the Shadow Temple is also full of invisible longshot targets and it was a pain trying to get through some of the rooms when I did a lens of truthless run once. In the 3DS version the longshot pointer changes when it finds a target, even if it's invisible. So if you ever want to do such a thing, keep in mind it's going to be easier in the 3DS version.

Speaking of version differences, there shouldn't be anything significant when it comes to this, but there's one part that came pretty close. The hitboxes for the silver rupees are a little different in the 3DS version and one room in the adult section of the Spirit Temple almost had me thinking I couldn't do it without the hover boots. It's the room with boulders rolling in a half pipe and silver rupees scattered everywhere. One of the rupees is in mid-air and it's apparently intended to be reached with the hover boots, but you can easily just jump over the edge and collect it with a jump attack. It's much harder to do in the 3DS version though for some reason, I had to try it like a dozen times until he touched the rupee. I might have switched to the Biggoron Sword until it worked, I'm not sure anymore. So if you want to do the Spirit Temple early on in the 3DS version, chances are the Biggoron Sword is required for that unless you can find another way.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Traeh ().

Mar 31st 2013, 9:35am

• If you use some smart tricks/glitches, you can do the dungeons in pretty much any order you want.

Marceline Abadeer wrote:

Incorrect. You actually need the bow for two of the keys; the key at the end of the snake river, and one for a push block puzzle. A third key requires you to light two torches, but they are close enough together to be lit with Din's Fire.

However, you can easily skip two keys in the Water Temple by not unlocking the two doors that allow you to raise the water level to the 2nd and 3rd floor.

To raise the water to the second floor, just save the game and reset the game. This will put you backup top. Then just jump to the middle platform and you should land on the ledge in the middle of the room on the 2nd floor. Then just use Din's fire to light the torch and unlock the door that leads to the F2 water switch.

Then to raise the water to the third floor, go back outside the room. On the south side of the middle platform there should be a floating platform. Look up and there should be a hookshot target. With a careful angle you can hit this and use a mid-air Jump Attack to get on the 3rd floor of the middle platform. From there, you just need to go to the corner near the 3rd floor water switch. Angle yourself so that you can jump off the very tip of the corner, but hit the left side of the ledge (you can grab the right side of the ledge, but Link will glitch out and will get launched downward instead of pulling himself up.

That will allow you to get the first 4 keys, and use them to unlock the path to the Longshot and the Boss Key.

Mar 31st 2013, 4:28pm

• I normally just do the Fire Temple first because I don't like it and wanna get it over with lol. I have done Spirit before Shadow as well.

Apr 2nd 2013, 5:53pm

• Traeh wrote:

This happened to me on my playthrough, I had a really hard time jumping to grab it and eventually lucked into it when the bolder that rolls just near it actually hit me into it as I was falling after failing another jump. It might have been their way of trying to make it so you have to do them in order. You can still get it but it is, as you said, much, much harder. Not so much that it's impossible, but just enough so that I would suggest potentially at least doing a run into the Shadow Temple to get the Hover Boots. But then you would have to do Fire relatively in order, and that sort of takes the fun out of the whole thing anyway Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (12)

As a side note I did finally finish my game and the final order was:
    Ice
    Forest
    Water
    Well
    Spirit
    Fire
    Shadow

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apr 3rd 2013, 3:36am

• I don't know whether you guys would consider this a glitch or not, but it's actually possible to do the Spirit Temple before The Bottom of the Well. It's just really REALLY hard to get through the Haunted Wasteland without the Lens of Truth. I've never done it, but I've seen a few Youtube videos of other people doing it.

I like to play around with the order whenever I play a new game of OoT. The last one I did was an unsuccessful swordless run. I went for the the Fire Temple to get the Megaton Hammer early. If I recall correctly:

Fire Temple
    Ice Caverns
    Forest Temple
    Water Temple
    Bottom of the Well
    Spirit Temple
    Shadow Temple... where I failed to find a glitchless way to kill Bongo Bongo. My efforts ended there.

I usually try to do an order that allows for the Spirit Temple to be played as early as possible, though, mostly because it's my favorite dungeon. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (13)

The post was edited 1 time, last by ecrofirt ().

Apr 3rd 2013, 5:02am

• ecrofirt wrote:

I'm also not sure whether that should be called a glitch because after all you're not messing with how the game mechanics are programmed, it looks like the invisible wasteland path was intended to be discovered for players crazy enough to go for it. It's kind of cheating in a way that you really have to know what you're doing though. You're sequence breaking on purpose, while everywhere else you can theoretically stumble upon pretty much any non-linear path by accident while you're exploring the world at your own pace.

Case in point, when I first played the game I got stuck at the vacated Goron City. For some reason, bombing the lonely goron took me longer to figure out than the entire Water Temple. I also did Spirit before Shadow, because I had no idea what kind of event was suddenly supposed to happen in Kakariko, while I really, really wanted to see what's in the desert now that I finally had access to it. Shadow Temple used to disturb me so much that I always went there last whenever I replayed the game. I actually spent more than ten years thinking that Spirit was intended to be done before Shadow, because some of the in-game content seemed to support that, but a couple years ago after debating on it for a while, some people on this forum managed to convince me that it makes more sense the other way.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Traeh ().

Apr 3rd 2013, 7:58am

• I consider myself an 'ocarina veteran' and have played it over 20 times...and it never occurred to me to try this. I feel like a damn fool! Must give this a go asap.

~ You thought Navi was damn annoying.... and then you met Fi ~

Apr 10th 2013, 2:19pm

• mzxrules wrote:

Before anyone cries foul at this, Farore's Wind is an alternative.

Apr 11th 2013, 10:52am

• Ok... These posts were pretty old, but were helpful, so am gonna post, too. Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (14)

I usualy only do the ice cavern & spirit/shadow temples out of order (after getting the boots from the beginning of the shadow), but decided to mix it up this time.

First thing I always do when I become an "adult" is epona and the biggoron sword... cause everything is easier w the biggoron sword (shadow link? gerudo guards? iron knuckles? piece of cake...) I also like going for the heart pieces fairly quickly... but I did the absolute most you could asap this time.

so...

Epona/Ice/Biggoron Sword (50 skulltulas)
    Forest temple (w 13 heart pieces)
    Gerudo membership
    Bottom of well (well, only enough to get the lense)
    Water Temple (15 hearts)
    Spirit temple kid

Here's where I thought I was going to have to do the fire temple to open up shadow to get the boots for the spirit temple, when I saw from here that you CAN do spirit w/o boots. I couldn't get the jump attack to work for some reason, so I went in b/w the second and third rolling boulders, targeted the climbing wall w my longshot, and picked up the silver rupee on the trip Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (15)

Spirit Temple adult (w 17 hearts)
    Fire Temple
    Shadow Temple

Would love to save fire for last... too bad can't get into shadow w/o sheik.

[edit] I just saw that my order was the same as QueenInsane's. I guess I really just wanted to post the longshot way of getting the silver rupee, cause it's super easy...

The post was edited 3 times, last by BreannaKay ().

Feb 2nd 2014, 1:52pm

• This is actually why I continue to replay Ocarina of Time. I find it interesting and enjoyable to mix up the order of completing the dungeons and temples. As we all know it goes like this:

Inside the Great Deku Tree
    Dodongo's Cavern
    Inside Lord Jabu Jabu
    Forest Temple
    Fire Temple
    Ice Cavern
    Water Temple
    Bottom of the Well
    Shadow Temple
    Spirit Temple, Part 1 (Child)
    Spirit Temple, Part 2 (Adult)

The last time I played OoT 3D, I went in this order
    Typical order for the Spiritual Stones
    Ice Cavern
    Forest Temple
    Water Temple
    Fire Temple
    Spirit Temple
    Shadow Temple

Pretty much if you work outside the temples, get all the items (Hookshot, tunics, etc), you shouldn't have limitations when tackling most dungeons. At least when you finish the Forest Temple (or any one temple), you can go back to being a kid. That opens a can of worms, which makes it possible to do the temples in any order you choose.

Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (16)
    Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time) - Zelda Universe Forums (17)
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"]|Twitter|[/COLOR] |[COLOR="Black"]You[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]Tube[/COLOR]|[/SIZE]

Feb 4th 2014, 1:38pm

• Ningan, I don't want to share this story. It's too dangerous and the world is not ready. But since you've forced my hand by making this thread, I must. Everyone, beware of following the path of progression that I'm about to describe. I had a very strange paranormal encounter with it.

I went Forest > Water(to Longshot) > Spirit > Fire > Rest of Water >Shadow through Ocarina of Time. While in the part of Spirit Temple that has the moving walls that you have to climb, the two Beamos Statues at the bottom nearly brought about my doom. I've begun to suck more at video games as the years go by, it seems. I knew that Link was about to die no matter I did, so I picked up a Bomb, threw at it one Beamos and said, "See you in hell!" (Ok, so I didn't really say that.) Imagine my surprise when the Beamos spawned a fairy. ... that doesn't happen in OoT. Wtf mate? I mean, really.

Perhaps Farore was watching and favored the courage with which I disposed of the Beamos. Maybe my VC version of OoT is haunted. I don't know. As I was riding through Hyrule Field later, a Poe started following me on horseback (which is normal). In the context of bizarre spontaneous fairy apparitions, it seemed creepier than the ReDeads.

edit: I've already posted in this thread? Remarkable! See, first your N64 Zelda playing reflexes leave you, then your memory!

The post was edited 6 times, last by ecrofirt ().

Feb 4th 2014, 2:51pm